This Blog Is Not For Reading

A blog, just like any blog, only more so

  • Subscribe

  • Categories

  • RSS Bob Jonkman’s Microblog

    • Favorite 20 July 2018
      bobjonkman favorited something by aral: I'm going to write a lot more about this in the coming days but the most important takeaway from my first few days of switching my main development machine to Linux (Pop!_OS 18.04)?I. Do. Not. Miss. The. Mac. One. Bit.Everything Just Works (tm), including my USB-C-only LG external monitor (which […]
    • New note by bobjonkman 18 July 2018
      The #SysAdmin rule of 80:20 - 80% of the problems are #PEBKAC from people who don't #RTFM, the other 20% of the problem are from people who DID #RTFM and made it worse...
    • Favorite 18 July 2018
      bobjonkman favorited something by modernindustrial: Pro-tip: when swatting flies, you must get all of them or else you will breed a race of super flies with speed and intelligence beyond human control
    • New note by bobjonkman 13 July 2018
      "Linux Is Hard" by Stefan Siegl @sisadness #WhyIUseLinux (Linux is hard, but not the way you think it is)
    • Favorite 12 July 2018
      bobjonkman favorited something by kevie: For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition and health. It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies. 1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Brits. 2. The Mexicans eat a lot […]
    • Favorite 12 July 2018
      bobjonkman favorited something by xrevan86: @bob Forbidding any kind of people from using the software is literally against the definition of free software, thus something like that will never be accepted into the GPL licence. It is just how it is.
    • bobjonkman repeated a notice by santiago 9 July 2018
      RT @santiago #shortwave #radio listening is a great way to listen to other countries news/music/culture without the need of #internet and most important, without leaving and spreading your personal fingerprint all over the place (IP addresses, hours and listening habits, stations and content you listen to). Shortwave listening is a great way to stay off […]
    • New note by bobjonkman 8 July 2018
      What, you got to 20C ? #weather
    • New note by bobjonkman 8 July 2018
      Oh, here you are: @jonkulp I just thought my !GNUsocial instance wasn't federating with your instance...
    • New note by bobjonkman 8 July 2018
      What is that thing, and how does it work?

Archive for April, 2009

Invalid HTML considered harmful

Posted by Bob Jonkman on 28th April 2009

Screenshop of HTML Dog Web SiteValid HTML is not just useful for browsers. One of the big benefits of having valid HTML is that search engines can properly index your site. If the HTML is invalid, then the search engines may index you incorrectly, or not at all. Google isn’t the only search engine out there, and you want to drive as much traffic to your site as possible.

There appears to be some contention whether valid HTML makes a difference to search engines or not. Some say it doesn’t; or that it depends on the search engine; others have evidence it matters a lot.

Even if you’re not coding by hand, I urge you to have a look at HTML Dog, a set of tutorials on creating valid HTML. When things don’t work as expected you can turn here for examples in XHTML.

Favicon - HTML Dog

If you’re going to be using an editor for your Web pages, pick an editor that creates proper HTML code. Abandon FrontPage. I suggest using KompoZer, which is based on the same rendering engine as Firefox (Gecko).

Favicon - Kompozer.net

You should also be checking your pages in Opera, which is a browser that is even better for standards-compliance than FireFox. The Chief Technology Officer for Opera is the same guy that wrote the Cascading Style Sheets specification, so it has a good pedigree.

Favicon - Opera.com

If you’re using Firefox then be sure to check your pages with the HTML Validator addon:

Favicon - Skynet.be

Screenshot - HTML ValidatorAnd when you think your site is done, check each page with the full-strength validator:

Favicon - W3C HTML Validator

Favicon - CSS Validation Service

<heavy sigh… />


Posted in considered harmful, valid html | 5 Comments »

Better Tag Cloud